This is one of those bung-it-all-in-the-oven type of recipes – my favourite! You can do the (minimal) prep, pop it in the oven and get back to work while it’s cooking. This recipe might seem a bit unusual in that you roast the gnocchi in the oven, instead of boiling or frying them, but it actually works really well. You get a lovely crispy outside and a gooey inside. While this recipe works at any time of year, it’s particularly lovely at Christmas time – with the sweet butternut squash, apple-y sausage meat, red onion and sage bestowing a festive feel.
Make in 45 minutes (10 minutes prep, 35 minutes cooking)
- Kid’s favourite
- 2 tbsp oil
- 400g pork and apple sausage meat, squeezed out of the sausage casing
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ½ medium-sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 500g gnocchi
- a few sage leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- You’ll need two roasting dishes for this recipe. AAdd 1 tbsp oil to each dish and place in the oven for 1-2 minutes until the oil is nice and hot.
- Add the sausage meat, red onion and butternut squash to one roasting tray and place the gnocchi in the other.
- Cook for 35 minutes until the sausage meat has browned, the butternut squash is soft and the gnocchi is turning crispy!
- Mix the contents of both dishes together, scatter with the chopped sage and serve immediately.
For a vegetarian version, simply use veggie sausages instead of the pork. Or try scattering over pine nuts and some crumbled goat’s cheese at the end.
Don’t forget to pin it: