I’m a bit of a crisp fiend – if there’s a packet in the house, I just can’t help myself. And that can be pretty dangerous when you work from home! So, on my quest for an alternative I’ve discovered crunchy roasted chickpeas. They are really easy to make and equally addictive – but luckily, they’re also significantly better for you.
Make in 2 hours
– 1 of your 5 a day
- 400g tin chickpeas in water
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or other vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Drain the chickpeas and give them a quick wash under the tap, removing any obvious loose skins.
- Spread the chickpeas out on some kitchen roll to absorb the moisture and leave for an hour, or more if you have time. (This will dry them out a bit, to ensure that all-important crunch.)
- Heat the oven to 200°/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Pop the chickpeas on a baking tray and cover with the oil, cook for 40 – 50 minutes until they are crunchy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and eat while hot and crunchy!
I chose salt and pepper as a flavouring for this, as these are something everyone has in their cupboard. But you can also try tossing with other spices, such as cumin or paprika, once cooked.
These are best eaten hot, while they are still crunchy. They tend to go a bit chewy once cold – but they are still pretty tasty!
If you love it, don’t forget to Pin it!